Saturday 11 October 2008

The Building Continues

After the first hurdle (pkg-config), I soon came across another. This time it was glib, unfortunately I was unable to build this from source, as it had a dependency on gettext, which I am now downloading. I expect there might be further dependencies that I'll have to resolve, but I won't know that til I've got the download, and unfortunately my connection seems rather slow. Ah well, such is the modern 'connected' life!

It is downloaded, and currently gettext is building. I do feel like a monkey doing this as I'm just following the last error from ./configure. Or maybe a donkey is a better analogy, chasing carrots!

Things I'm learning:

  • Building from source is not as hard as I'd expect (even on a Mac)
  • It is time consuming though
  • Structure of the Mac OSX file system - I have more of a feel for where things live, it is more like Linux than I initially thought.

Ah ha! success, gettext has built and I've make installed it! Now for glib... I may actually have a working version of Mono, built myself, before my coffee goes cold. I feel so cool, I just maked and make installed in one go with make && make install, simple things... Ooops, almost cool, I forgot the sudo. It seems that the make doesn't require admin permissions as, I guess, that all happens locally, but then make install puts things in all the right places like /usr/bin/ etc.

I feel so close, I'm now running ./configure in the mono directory, and now make and then sudo make install.

I have just one thing to say:

Albee:~ mattlee$ mono -V
Mono JIT compiler version 2.0 (tarball)
Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Novell, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS: normal
GC: Included Boehm (with typed GC)
SIGSEGV: normal
Notification: Thread + polling
Architecture: x86
Disabled: none

Whoop whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment